Saturday, December 18, 2010, the Senate held a role call to lift the "dont ask, dont tell" policy prohibiting homosexuals serving openly in the armed forces. This ban has been in effect for 17 years, since the Clinton-era.
A "yes" vote is a vote to repeal the policy and to allow homosexuals to serve openly
Voting yes were 55 Democrats, 8 Republicans and 2 independents.
Voting no were 0 Democrats and 31 Republicans. 65-31 win.
Allowing gays and lesbians to serve openly in the U.S. military is a step toward equality, advocates say, but a fight for other social changes such as gay marriage still lies ahead.
I have two opinions or two views on this specific topic. First of all, I disagree that homosexuals should be allowed in the military. I believe the military shouldn't be used to expand the rights of gays and that allowing them to serve openly would hurt the troops moral and ability to fight with unity. Also, this means that for the first time in U.S. history, gays will be openly accepted by the military and can acknowledge their sexual orientation without fear of being discharged. Yes, homosexuals will not be afraid of being dismissed from the military, but think about all the harassment and torment homosexuals will receive from their fellow soldiers. From what I have gathered from the military, specifically the Marines, the Marines is not a place you want to be if you are openly gay. I can see this creating a problem with the moral and authority in the ranks of the military.
Of course, Im coming at this topic from a biblical and Christian perspective, even though I dont agree with the repeal, this would be a great opportunity to minister to homosexuals. The Lord has called me to the military and The Lord has specifically highlighted to me the people I will minister to; Im called to lead men. I have a choleric personality and am very dominate. With that being said I attract men who do not have dominant personalities or who lack what is takes to be a man of God. Due to my personality, I may attract men who lack masculine features, maybe homosexuals in the military. This will be an opportunity to minister to these men. This will be the cross I have to bear.
I know when homosexual men enlist in the military they will get all sorts of harassment from their brothers in arms. My question is will there ever be a law in effect in the military saying "a soldier cant treat a homosexual soldier any different from his striaght buddy"? I see a huge conflict in the future!
I enjoyed reading this! Great topic, great insight, great length... Good all around blog Tyler!
ReplyDeleteThis is good man me and my little brother (the one who is going to the Marines) we were discussing this the other day.
ReplyDelete